found a rabbit
DON'T BE A
Cottontail rabbits are crepuscular meaning they are most active at dawn and dusk.
Mom will not return until she feels it is safe to do so. If you are concerned about a nest of bunnies please follow the following steps:
To keep her babies safe from predation, mom will leave the nest of bunnies carefully hidden while she forages.
Mom may only need to return to feed her babies a few times throughout the day.
1) Carefully place a string or shoelace in a criss-cross (X) formation across the nest.
2) Leave the area for 12 hours without checking. Remembering they are most active at dawn and dusk.
3) Return to check nest...if string has been moved, mom has come and gone. If string has not been moved, mom has not come back and it is time to call a wildlife rehabilitation centre.
JUST BECAUSE YOU DO NOT SEE MOM
DOES NOT MEAN SHE IS NOT CLOSE BY.
- Do not burrow
- Excellent camouflage
- Usually have white spot on top of head
- Usually mix of light brown and grey in colour
- Released pets
- Burrow in the ground
- Can be any mixture of colours/spots/patterns
- Often mistaken for cottontails